Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Hey, will you look at the time? The big hand says fuck and the little hand says off. Good thing it doesn't have a second hand, huh?

EDIT: I added new people to the list. Including Rita who also answered in '04. Keep checking for updates.

Another day, another set of classes, another realization that things are going good. Slower then usual, but good. Its nice to slow down a bit, though my idea of slowing down is faster then most people's hectic days. It wasn't always like that. There were days when I didn't have to force myself to stop, look around, and marvel at the world. These days were far from carefree, but the wonders of the things around us tend to be easier to take in when we don't have the pressure of a deadline, a flight, or a gig hanging over us.

------------------------------

Almost 3 years ago, on December 8, 2004, I asked a bunch of my friends what made them happy, here were the responses:

Julzie: being happy :-)
Yuriy: watchin/playin sports
Vicky: being loved
Rita: life
Larina: rain in africaa
Betty: money and penis
Roman: bitches = ]
Eugine: the perfect girlfriend
Alex: having someone i can relate to.guy or girl..
Sofiya: when I know that the person I'm in love with is in love with me too.
Max: gettin laid
Dima: well im a boy so i think u no the answer lol
Jamie: going to concerts
Anna: seeing scumbags get what they deserve =)

Today I asked the same questions to people I know now. Here were the responses, the first four are the same people as the first three in '04:

Juzie: when things are good
Yuriy: a new car!
Vicky: hallmark moments like these
Rita
: my family and my best friends
Michelle: at the moment my bed with a warm blanket
Natalya: seeing my mommy happy and to know a guy cares for u
Irina: my baby
Jackie: shopping, family, pearls, red nailpolish, stilletos, perfume, wine nights, kickboxing, vacationing in other countries, i think thats my top
Michelle: sex
Yana: eating chocolate
Katie: people i love ;]
Yana: Working
Mia: life
Esther: shopping
Jessica:
there's a boy

Some people have yet to get back to me, so it is likely that this post will be edited as new answers come in. I don't have enough answers to be sure, but I think that for the most part those who were dreamers stayed dreamers, and those who wanted more tangible things are still searching for a way to achieve them. Some people were sarcastic, some abstract, but the ones that really interested me were the ones that were honest. For the purpose of privacy I wont reveal specifically who's who so don't ask, but the Michelle that answered sex probably gave the most interesting answer out of all of them. To steal another quote from Californication: "look at the balls on that one". I'm intreuged by it because when pointing out the difference in todays answers and those of '04 I was told "3 years ago u werent like this either." What she really meant to say is that 3 years ago you weren't a prick. Its probably true, depending on who you ask of course, but three years ago I didn't have the habit of spitting out exactly whats on my mind. Today I do. The point is, when someone has the balls to give you an answer without being concerned about how you might interpret it, it means one of two things: (1) They trust that you respect them enough to see beyond the bold, decisive, and sometimes crude statements and understand that their inner intentions are just like yours, if not purer. The only difference is that you censor your language and keep things to yourself while they set their innermost thoughts free and unveil their true personalities for the world to see. OR (2) They are free-spirited enough to just not give a fuck about what you think, because if you can't see beyond the words then you are not worth the effort. The greatest feeling in the world is when you discover that sometimes it is OK to let go. Cliche, I know, but it is hard not to speak in cliches when the world surrounds you in them. I feel like a 75 year-old lesbian feminist for talking like this but there is no other way to put it: Actually saying what is on your mind is perhaps one of the most liberating experiences you can have as a human being, second only to striping down naked and going skinny dipping in pouring rain. Try it. Really. Take pictures. Send them to me. Furthermore, the most obvious and commonly used defense is that being brutally honest helps a lot more then filling your life with white lies. Those that understand that when I tell them their new hair makes me want to punch a baby, it is because I like the blonde better. Take my opinion for what it is: MY OPINION. In the past my opinion has helped a lot of people, but when it comes to being stuburn and disregarding other people's opinions, I am a prime example. Thats why I will tell you once, and won't bring it up again unless you ask or it is a joke. Its up to you to be big boys and girls and be able to accept it as a thought and an opinion and not an insult. (The blonde/brunette example is the first one that came to mind, thankfully I have yet to lose a friendship over that one) A lot of you take a lot of pride for being mature, and then you go and have a hard time differentiating between opinions, honesty, and malevolence. Grow up. Learn things. Speak your mind, and fucking enjoy the fucking sun when it comes up at five fucking thirty on a Thursday fucking morning.

My point in this rather massive tangent is that sometimes its worth it to just throw it all away and start over as yourself.

-------------------------

I know that as always I have completely deviated from what I was going to talk about, but you'll have to live with what I give you, because I'm the author here bitches. I think I'll be perusing this list further and asking more people. Please comment on anything I write about or even something random. Just say hi, tell me your alive. And tell your friends, more people should be forced to endure the diarrhea that spills out of my head through my fingertips. I'll update and talk more about the "What makes you happy?" list as time goes on, but for now, I've got TV to catch up on.

Sweet Dreams Kids.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Matt said...

Hello!

I am contacting you because I am working with the authors of a book about blogs, and I'd like to request permission to use the photograph you have posted in this book. Please contact me at matt@wefeelfine.org, and I'd be happy to give you more information about the project. Please paste a link to your blog in the subject field. Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Matt